My Dog Ate a Mole: What to Do?

Dogs will chew on anything that they can find. This trait usually ends up with them chewing on their toys and random objects around the house. But sometimes, this habit can turn out to be dangerous. 

If your dog is used to chewing on anything they can find at home, they will do the same outside. Your dog might end up eating leaves, grass, or even animals like moles. Keep reading for a step-by-step guide on what to do if your dog ate a mole.


What Should You Do If Your Dog Ate a Mole?

Here is what you should do if you find that your dog has eaten a mole:

1. Take Your Dog Somewhere Safe

The first thing that you should do is take your dog to a place where they feel comfortable. This will make them feel comfortable as they might begin to feel sick.

Moreover, keeping some distance from the place where your dog ate the mole will ensure that they do not go back. Your dog might be tempted to eat more moles or any other random objects that they can find outside.

2. Attend To Any Symptoms

After you have ensured that your dog feels safe, you should attend to any symptoms of sickness that they may be experiencing.

The most probable symptom to show up instantly is vomiting. Other possible symptoms of sickness would manifest over a few hours or the next two to three days.

However, if your dog vomits after eating a mole, do not wash its mouth out. It is possible that the mole may be carrying poison and toxins.

Washing out your dog’s mouth will result in spreading these toxins around their system. Instead, use a clean cloth to wipe their tongue and gums.

If you want, you can clean out your dog’s mouth even if they have not vomited. However, the chances of the mole carrying poison are low.

3. Consult Your Veterinarian

The most important thing to do when you find yourself in trouble with anything related to your dog is to seek your veterinarian’s advice.

You might assume that the situation is manageable and your dog is experiencing minor symptoms. However, eating a mole can expose your dog to dangerous consequences like infections, poisoning, rabies, etc.

These symptoms will continue to get worse if they are left unattended. So, you must get your dog tested by the veterinarian. They will guide you on how severe the situation is and how you need to deal with it.

4. Look Out For More Symptoms

Lastly, after getting your dog checked by the veterinarian, you need to be on the lookout for more symptoms manifesting over the next two to three days.

If the symptoms seem to be getting better, you can be assured that your dog is fine. However, it is also possible that your dog will become ill after eating a mole. This might mean that they are suffering from an upset stomach, poisoning, infections, etc.

So, you must monitor your dog’s health over the next few days. Additionally, make sure to feed them a healthy diet and keep them hydrated. If you notice anything that can be a cause of concern, do not hesitate to contact your vet.

Are Moles Poisonous to Dogs?

Moles can be poisonous to dogs. If the mole that your dog ate had consumed rodent poison, these toxins might affect your dog as well. This is known as secondary poisoning and is the biggest concern when it comes to dogs eating animals like moles.

So, you must take your dog to the veterinarian after they eat a mole. The vet will check them for any signs of poisoning as well as other problems such as rabies, bacterial infection, parasites, etc.

Can Moles Kill Dogs?

Keep in mind that moles cannot kill dogs. Your dog may feel sick for a few days after eating a mole. They might also develop serious problems like rabies and secondary poisoning.

However, you do not need to worry about these symptoms being fatal. But at the same time, you cannot completely ignore the symptoms and hope they will go away.

If you ignore the fact that your dog might have become seriously ill after eating a mole, the symptoms might become so severe that they can have devastating consequences.

Can a Dog Get Sick From Eating a Mole?

Your dog can get sick from eating a mole. It is natural for your dog to feel unwell after ingesting something that is not meant to be eaten, i.e the mole. Your dog might exhibit mild symptoms like vomiting, an upset stomach to illnesses like a bacterial infection, secondary poisoning, etc.

Apart from the symptoms listed in the next section of this article, there are a few things that can happen after your dog eats a mole:

1. Secondary Poisoning

It is possible that the mole your dog ate came in contact with rodent poison. This can result in your dog getting secondary poisoning. So, you need to be careful for a few days after your dog eats the mole and look out for any symptoms that suggest poisoning.

2. Gastrointestinal Bacterial Infection

Since moles are generally found in sewers, they are very likely to carry bacteria that can infect your dog. Your dog is more likely to get a gastrointestinal bacterial infection after eating a mole that has been dead for a while.

Note that the symptoms of a gastrointestinal bacterial infection take a few days to show up. Some of the symptoms that you should look out for include vomiting, change in appetite levels, abdominal pain, fever, and diarrhea.

3. Rabies

Rodents like moles often carry rabies. In fact, a mole is more likely to come near humans and other animals when they carry rabies. So, it is possible that your dog might get rabies after eating a mole. To be safe, you should get this check from your veterinarian.

So, do not be alarmed if your dog is sick for the next few days after eating a mole. It is important that you take them to the veterinarian to get them checked. Additionally, you will need to monitor your dog to ensure that they are getting better. 

Symptoms to Look For After Your Dog Eats a Mole

Here are some symptoms that your dog might exhibit after eating a mole:

  • Vomiting
  • Coughing
  • Fever
  • Change in appetite levels
  • Change in activity levels
  • Excessive panting
  • Digestive problems
  • Weakness
  • Abdominal pain
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Diarrhea
  • Pale gums

Remember, if these symptoms persist for more than three days or seem to be getting worse, you should contact your veterinarian. Additionally, you should get your dog tested for poisoning, bacterial infections, parasites, and rabies to be safe.

How to Prevent Your Dog From Eating a Mole Again?

After all the trouble that it may have caused you, you definitely do not want your dog to eat dangerous things like a mole again.

There are two ways by which you can prevent your dog from eating a mole again – either you can train your dog or physically prevent them from being around a mole.

When it comes to physically keeping your dog away from the mole or any other object that they should not eat, you have a few options:

1. Be Vigilant

As soon as you see that your dog is sniffing for food around the street, keep an eye out for what your dog goes near and tries to eat.

2. Short Leash

Unless you want to run behind your dog every time they find a mole to eat, a short leash is the best way to keep your dog close.

3. Muzzle

Some people believe that muzzles are uncomfortable for dogs. However, the right-sized muzzle should not cause any trouble to your dog. Moreover, you can also opt for a cloth muzzle instead of a standard basket muzzle.

4. Train Your Dog

Lastly, another way to keep your dog from eating moles is by training them. There are a few things that you can teach your dog to prevent them from eating a mole:

  • Train your dog to respond to commands like “Leave It” or “Drop that”

Instead of rushing towards your dog to physically prevent them from eating a mole, you can be assured that they have dropped the mole altogether once you command them. 

  • Teach your dog to eat from their food bowl

You can keep your dog from eating random things by training them to eat only what is in their food bowl. To do this, encourage and reward your dog each time they eat from the food bowl.

5. Provide Adequate Food

One reason why your dog might have eaten a mole is because of not getting proper proportions of food. If your dog regularly eats random things that they are not supposed to, then this might be the reason why.

Divide your dog’s food proportion into at least two meals a day. The aim is to keep your dog’s hunger satiated at all times. So, it is better to give multiple smaller meals throughout the day rather than a large meal once a day.

If this is the first time your dog has eaten something dangerous, follow the above advice to prevent it from happening again. However, you must remember that these might not be the only reasons why dogs eat random things occasionally. Some other reasons can be that your dog ate a mole can be curiosity, boredom, or even to get your attention.

Conclusion: Can a Dog Eat a Mole?

Needless to say, dogs are not meant to eat moles. But you cannot keep an eye on your dog at all times. So, instead of always worrying about what they might try to eat or play with, you now have a more effective solution. All you need to do is use the “Leave it” command.

We hope that after reading this article, you no longer have to worry about your dog eating anything that they weren’t supposed to. Moreover, if such a situation happens again, you now know exactly how to deal with it!

Disclaimer: This blog should not be considered as being professional pet medical advice. The content published on this blog is for informational purposes only. Please always consult with a licensed and local veterinarian for medical advice.

About Shaun Clarke

Shaun is passionate about pets and animals, especially dogs, cats, and rabbits. He owns a dog and a couple of cats too. He loves visiting wildlife sanctuaries and shares a strong bond with animals. When he is not writing, he loves to do a barbecue in the backyard with his family and friends.