My Dog Ate Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups: What to Do?

Dogs are the silliest and goofiest creatures in the world. They can excite you by their sheer silly habits. But sometimes they go berserk and would eat anything that they find, be it your slippers, bedsheet, and the worst of all chocolates.

Who doesn’t love Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups? But unfortunately, these are toxic for your dogs. So, if your dog has eaten one of these and you are panicking, then you are at the right article. Read on to know what you can do to help your dog and the symptoms to look out for if your dog has eaten Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.

What to Do if Your Dog Eats Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup?

Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups in any quantity are not healthy for dogs. Chocolate is extremely toxic for dogs and you should always keep it away from your dogs. It can harm them severely leading to the worst-case scenario, seizures.

Since the quantity of chocolate is very less and it’s only milk chocolate, there is some saving grace.

If your dog has eaten too much of Reese’s peanut butter cups then follow these steps immediately to control the effect of chocolate on the dog. It is because chocolates are quite harmful to dogs.

1. Check Out How Many Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups They Ate

The most important thing is to determine how many peanut butter cups they have consumed. If you see your dog eating any more of the cups then remove it immediately from their mouth.

Additionally, if they are still chewing it, don’t let them chew anymore. A small amount of peanut butter cups will never harm the dog but if they have had more, then it can cause some grave concerns.

Moreover, this will also help you to understand the severity of the situation.

2. Make Them Puke

This is a significant step to ensure that they are fine. Try to make them puke by giving them a little quantity of hydrogen peroxide. Then, take them out for a vigorous walk to induce vomit.

Chances are the chocolate won’t suit them and they’ll vomit on their own. But if this doesn’t happen, then you have to take matters into your hand.

3. Look Out For Symptoms

After you’ve tried to make them vomit, look out for the minor symptoms. Change in their behavior, panting, loose motions, shaking, pacing too much, or extreme thirst are the primary symptoms to look out for.

If they have had only one or two peanut butter cups then there will only be a slight digestive problem like constipation, loose stool, or stomach ache. But if they have consumed more, then it could lead to some serious issues.

It could take around 6 to 12 hours for the symptoms to develop, so keep a check on them. If the symptoms worsen over time, then it is time to contact the veterinarian.

4. Contact The Veterinarian

If nothing seems to work, then contact the vet immediately. They can inform you about which medicines to take, how to handle the situation properly, and they’ll advise you on the symptoms to look out for.

Additionally, by talking to you, they will know about the weight of the dog and the quantity of peanut butter cups the dog has eaten. Then, they can properly assess the situation and inform you if the dog needs to come to the hospital or if you can treat the dog at home.

Even if you think that the symptoms are mild, it is always better to talk to the doctor once. This will help as anything overlooked by you will be caught by the doctor in the initial examination.

5. Give The Dog Medicines

By talking to your vet, you’ll know which medicines the dog needs in such a situation. If you give them medicines timely then they won’t have to go through serious health concerns like seizures and diarrhea.

The best way to give them medicines is by wrapping the medicines in peanut butter. The best part is that they won’t even know that they’re taking medicine.

6. Change The Diet

Change your dog’s diet temporarily so that their stomach can adjust to the health issues. Feed them a bland diet of boiled chicken, minced meat, white rice, and chicken broth for easy digestion. You can also add pumpkin to every meal to curb diarrhea.

A significant focus on their diet should be on the water, so add broth or water to every meal. It will also make the food softer. Then, slowly build their appetite. Don’t rush this process otherwise it can mess with your dog’s health.

7. Keep Them Hydrated

Chocolate can either cause excessive thirst or no desire to have water at all. Make sure that you are giving your dog enough water for excess urination. This will ensure the removal of chocolate that has settled in the body.

If you let the chocolate stay in the body for a long time then it can be reabsorbed through the bladder and sit there for a long time.

You have to take out the chocolate toxicity from the body within 24 hours otherwise the condition will worsen by the end of it. Water will help you out in this.

Will Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Hurt a Dog?

This may seem surprising to you but dogs love peanut butter and it is completely healthy for them. On the contrary, Reese’s peanut butter cups have a coat of chocolate on them which is extremely toxic for the dogs.

As long as you are giving them peanut butter as a treat, it is completely fine but peanut butter cups are highly toxic and they can even go to the extent of suffocating your dogs.

If your dog has accidentally eaten a little quantity of Resee’s peanut butter cup, then don’t worry. There is a chance that it won’t even harm your dog. This totally depends upon the weight of your dog.

Additionally, dark chocolate is more harmful to the dogs than milk chocolate and a Regular Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup contains 0.5 oz of milk chocolate. If your dog is around 15 lbs, then they won’t face any problem with one cup but any more than that will be harmful.

On the other hand, a dog above 30 lbs can safely consume 3.5 oz of milk chocolate. If your dog has eaten within the limit, then they don’t require veterinary care. 

Can My Dog Get Sick From Eating Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups Foil?

Yes, unfortunately, they can get sick from eating Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups Foil. Dogs are mischievous and they know that they cannot eat the foil, hence they gulp it down. This creates a blockage, so anything they eat after that will not go down their stomach.

Additionally, it will also cause discomfort to the dogs. Try to induce vomit by giving them hydrogen peroxide. This way they’ll definitely vomit. Moreover, the dogs can also get the foil out through poop. So, you can also wait for that to happen.

What Happens if My Dog Eats Too Many Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups?

The severity of the issue can range from vomiting to seizures. It all depends upon the weight of the dog and the amount of peanut butter cups they have consumed.

You can check the table below to know how many Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups they can safely consume.

Dog WeightChocolate Allowed
15 lbs0.5 oz
35 lbs3- 3.5 oz
65 lbs6-7 oz

You should not give them chocolate willingly but this table is for the time when your dog eats it by mistake. Anything more than this quantity will lead to serious effects.

Can Dogs Get Sick From Eating Too Much Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups

Yes, dogs can get sick if they eat too many Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. Bear in mind that the quantity of chocolate is less in the cups and the weight matters more. A small quantity for a 65lbs dog will amount to nothing. Whereas the same quantity for a 15 lbs dog can cause diarrhea or seizures.

0.5 oz of milk chocolate is not much for a small dog but any more than that can cause panting, excessive thirst, shivering, and shaking.

Symptoms if Your Dog Ate Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups

Since Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups contain chocolate, the dogs will definitely face some side effects. We have a list of the common side effects that they’ll face in 6 to 12 hours:

  1. Vomiting
  2. Restlessness
  3. Lethargy
  4. Loss of Appetite
  5. Excessive Urination
  6. Shaking
  7. Panting

But after two days, your dog’s health does not seem to improve, then a veterinarian will have to examine them. By this time, look out for some serious symptoms such as:

  1. Diarrhea
  2. Seizures
  3. Arrhythmia
  4. Tremors
  5. Suffocation

Conclusion: Can Dogs Eat Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups

Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups in any quantity are not healthy for dogs. Chocolate is extremely toxic for dogs and you should always keep it away from your dogs. It can harm them severely leading to the worst-case scenario, seizures.

In conclusion, we hope this article helped you to understand the symptoms of chocolate poisoning and what you can do to prevent it from exaggerating.

Disclaimer: This blog should not be considered as being professional pet medical advice. The content published on this blog is for informational purposes only. Please always consult with a licensed and local veterinarian for medical advice.

About Shaun Clarke

Shaun is passionate about pets and animals, especially dogs, cats, and rabbits. He owns a dog and a couple of cats too. He loves visiting wildlife sanctuaries and shares a strong bond with animals. When he is not writing, he loves to do a barbecue in the backyard with his family and friends.